.

Sunday, February 17, 2019

Dear Patrick, :: Creative Writing Letter Essays

Dear Patrick,I wake in the morning. I plume khakis, black tank top, denim jacket. Leather belt hanging number 1 on the hips. A pink scarf around the neck for a feminine touch.thither is an exhibit at the Met Ive been wanting to see complete Beauty The Body Transformed. I go, because Im drawn to it, drawn to how we film adapted our bodies throughout the centuries with fashion, flashing womanhood like a neon sign. How we have created ourselves through dress, over and over again.There is one piece in particular that catches my attention, a long gown sewn with scales and feathers, myriad, iridescent, with the torso mold as a ophidians belly. I dont know what to make of it. There is something in me that resists. I cannot identify myself with her. Its like looking into the mirror, that moment of confusion. Thats not me. There was a distance amongst me as a woman and the animate being in the dress, even though I knew that under that dress she was just now as solid as I am, just as warm. She was othered by that dress. Woman and not-woman, snake and Eve, both at once. Monstrous.You come by ulterior to visit, and we sit down with the catalog and look. When I show you the picture of the snake dress, you say, Thats dead rousey.I was offended, initially. Confused. Looking at the photograph now, though, the catalog imbue open on my desk, I can see what you mean. On a mannequin, as it was at the exhibit, the dress was just a curiosity, something by P.T. Barnum. The undreamt Snake Lady. On a real woman, it is transformative. She is exotic, terrible, powerful. Sexy. Sexy because she is powerful, because she stands with such insure and ease. I want to beher, alien as she is, to own that chemistry of sex and authority.alchemy Pronunciation Key ( l k -m ) n.1. A chivalrous chemical philosophy having as its asserted aims the transmutation of base metals into gold. . .Alchemists saying in matter something indiscrete, something without boundaries. Substances were imp licated in each other, irreducible. The difference between gold and iron was simply a matter of scale, one slowly able to shift into another.In Mary Shelleys Frankenstein, her protagonist studied alchemy before creating his monster. The monster itself is a creation of alchemy, a phantasm, in the haggle of Mary Shelley, caught between worlds both living and dead, man and machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment